Residential Real Estate Attorneys
Commercial and Residential Real Estate Attorneys Providing Representation to Clients throughout the Hudson Valley Area
Purchasing a house is one of the biggest investments most families make, so it is in your best interests to protect your investment by consulting with a qualified lawyer. Regardless of the stage you are at in the home buying process, an experienced attorney can provide you with invaluable advice on how best to proceed. Having an attorney by your side may help you avoid any legal problems that can cause delays to your closing and save you money in the long run.
At McCabe Coleman Ventosa & Patterson PLLC, we work hard to make sure you feel confident and secure in the decisions you make regarding residential real estate. We will immediately begin working with you to create a fair agreement. Furthermore, we have built a reputation on providing clients with personalized legal aid. We promptly respond to inquiries and never delay in moving our clients’ matters forward.
Residential Real Estate Transactions
Regardless of whether you need a tough negotiator or are just seeking advice and guidance, we are ready to provide you with unparalleled legal service. Diligent and knowledgeable, we will review and prepare the necessary documents for your residential real estate transaction.
Services Required for the Typical Real Estate Deal:
- Preparation of closing documents
- Review of title search reports and handling title-related issues
- Checking municipal compliance matters
- Coordinating closing requirement/procedures with a home mortgage lender
- Handling the timing of the closing and transfer of funds from the transaction
- Order surveys or other ancillary closing services (inspections)
Additionally We Can Assist You With The Following:
- Explain real estate law to you in an easy to understand manner
- Review and finalize the terms of a mortgage agreement
- Prepare and review contracts
- Rentals and leasings
- Negotiate the terms of the sale of your home
- Remedy title issues that may arise on your property
- Attend the closing of a property and assist with any paperwork
- Assist with foreclosures and restructurings
Before you purchase a home, you will likely hire a home inspector to look for defects and problems at the property. While you will be able to rest easy knowing the home is in good shape, how will you know that the legal aspects of the sale are also in good shape?
While many people think they can rely on their real estate agent to review and explain the purchase and sale documents, at the end of the day realtors are salespeople and they can be excellent facilitators of your deal, but legally they cannot give legal advice.
Only an attorney who has legal experience in residential real estate transactions can provide a “legal inspection” of your deal.
A legal inspection is a comprehensive review of all documents pertaining to your transaction. This includes the drafting and/or reviewing of your purchase agreement, the listing agreement (for sellers), the agency agreement (for buyers), title reports, mortgage documents, and settlement statements. If you do not know the answers to the following questions you should seriously consider a legal inspection.
- What terms of your Agreement of Sale are negotiable?
- What are your obligations once you sign the Agreement of Sale?
- What is a Seller’s Property Disclosure Statement, and when is it required?
- Who holds down payment (earnest money) and how much is appropriate?
- What is a mortgage contingency and how does it affect your transaction?
- What is a home inspection contingency and what option is best for you?
- What is title insurance, a title commitment and what issues are involved in a title encumbrance?
- What are the common pitfalls encountered by “for sale by owner” sellers?
- What is the best way to handle environmental issues such as mold, radon or underground oil tanks?
- Can you terminate the Agreement of Sale?
- What are liquidated damages?
- What charges should you expect at the property settlement or closing?
Consulting with an experienced attorney is one of the most important steps you can take if you are buying or selling a piece of residential property. In addition, understanding the intricacies of real estate law without a lawyer can be a headache. We can protect your rights as a buyer or seller and help to make your real estate transaction go more smoothly.
Rare to find attorneys who will go the extra mile, are kind, and willing to emotionally support you.- Catherine Q.
Chris is not only a brilliant attorney he's also a common sense, down-to-earth, business person.- Former Client
Professional, Kind, Efficient, Responsive, Easy to Work With- Former Client
Dan is friendly, patient, and personable, not traits I've come to expect in my experience with lawyers.- Former Client
Trustworthy, honest, family-based, and relaxed.- Former Client